Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Are the Robots Really That Threatening?

I got to see Phoenix at Austin City Limits last September. They were awesome. The best act of Friday. They play electronic pop, I guess - it's great summer music. This band is from France, though you wouldn't know it. The singing is accentless. But when the lead starts talking about how far the band has come, you say, "Oh, you're french. It's all becoming clear now." Plus the drummer is Algerian. That doesn't happen often here in the States. I wish we had colonies.

Phoenix is playing in Kansas City at this theatre called The Uptown. The website for the theatre is attractive but it has an essay instead of a history section. It's off putting. I was going to read it as research for my blog, but, really, I don't care that much. I rarely spell check these entries. And I lie a lot.

My roommates and I decided to go to the concert together. It's April 21st, a Wednesday, which means I have to miss Greek Tragedy. This wouldn't be so bad if Dr. Levine didn't teach it. I've been struggling in that class lately, and it bothers me not because I worry about my grade - I'm a senior, so it's more like pass/fail - but because I feel like I'm failing Dr. Levine every time I get a C on a review of Sophocles. I want to apologize for my poor efforts, and promise to try harder. Explaining I'm missing class for a rock concert will be like that time I stabbed another professor in the back.

Have you noticed that many service providing websites require you to retype words to complete your order? The letters will be curved and varying in size and color. Most times it's nonsense. I've been told this is done to prevent programs (bots) from logging onto the website and ordering ten thousand marbles or somesuch. In fact, when you post on this blog, you have to complete the same task. I guess this is to stop me from hiring a bot to advertise my singleness; that's what I'd do, if I had the money to hire a bot.

In order to purchase the ticket, Ticketmaster made me retype the words, tri-dental byington. Really? Are the bots that much of a problem, that you force me to copy the (non)words tri-dental byington? I feel like I'm being punished for logic in an insane asylum, and have to copy the words tri-dental byington one hundred times before I'm allowed to play checkers with my invisible friend. This is degrading.

I say let the robots do what they like. If we erect barriers like this to stop them, but lose our humanity in the process, we become like them. And then we'll all want to live in Tri-Dental Byington.

(If anyone wants to go to the concert as well, buy a ticket. I might take you with me.)

No comments:

Post a Comment