Wednesday, December 30, 2009

This Never Happened

During the Christmas break I am not as popular as I once was. I hang out a lot with my parents. I've beaten two video games. I go to my brother's 4A basketball games for entertainment. There's not a lot going on. So when I want to be social, I spend time with Harlin's friends.

Harlin is a senior in high school; he goes to Shiloh Christian, where he transferred to from Fayetteville High two years ago, so there's a mix of guys who come over. Previously, I knew their names. Now I'm up to date on each man's romantic problems. I give them advice, because they don't know my track record.

We call the room I sleep in the cave; it can sleep seven guys comfortably. There's a queen, a single, a couch, and a bunk bed with a double for a bottom. It's also where the television is. When I go in there, I bring a sack lunch and a trash can for when I get motion sickness from the Pankration.

I spent last night hanging out with Harlin and four of his friends. We played video games and ordered pizza from Mordor's. We didn't pick it up. Apparently they blacklist your number for that. I took the double bed. After we turned out the lights, someone threw a pillow at me, then we started talking about girls. They came to me for advice. High schoolers make me feel important.

At one point, Tyler, who was sleeping on the couch, got up to use the bathroom; Gabe, my cousin, decided to scare him. He stood in the closet that the couch was pushed up against and awaited Tyler's return. But when Tyler came back, he immediately began talking about Gabe's ex-girlfriend. He went around the room, asking everyone if they thought she was pretty. I said, no doubt. Then he asked Gabe, and Gabe didn't respond. Tyler put a hand on Gabe's shoulder, and told him that he could come out of the closet.

I have a story I tell about two of my friends, Ed and Ricky, who were co-counselors at War Eagle. Ed is tall and super skinny; Ricky is a big boy. Ed loved to pester Ricky. One night, very late, the two were walking back to the cabin from time off when Ricky stopped to talk to someone else. Ed went on and, in a bit of cleverness, hid under Ricky's covers, hoping to scare Ricky like he often did. However, Ricky took quite a bit longer than expected to get back. When he pulled down his covers, his found Ed sleeping in his bed. He woke Ed up, and immediately Ed said, "This never happened." Then Ed got in his own bed.

Thirty minutes later Ed scared Ricky. Ricky stayed up to read by a red headlamp, and Ed, ever so stealthily, slipped out of his bunk and army crawled over to Ricky. Ricky had a bunk in the corner of the cabin, and Ed says that when he jumped up, Ricky spent two terrified seconds trying to claw his way through the wooden wall.

The terrible thing is, Gabe was broken up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment