Sunday, November 1, 2009

November 1st

Stick Stickly said once that if the first words out of your mouth on the first of the month were, "Rabbit Rabbit," you would have good luck. Stick Stickly was also a tongue depressant which googlie eyes Elmer's glued on, so I'm not sure why I gave him such credence. Maybe because he reminded me of popsicles, and at eleven, popsicles are the reason you dream about a shopping spree in a grocery store.

I have never managed to say this. Every first of the month I fail, saying all sorts of things, from, "What time is it?" to "Where is the captain?" and "Never again!" On probability alone, given all the first of the months between the age of eleven and twenty one, I think I should have said it by now, even if I didn't mean to. I mean, I've said, "Who are you?" multiple times.

Last night I said it walking home from Common Grounds after midnight. I don't believe it worked. It makes since that you would have to say it as you woke up to the new month; also, with all the evil spirits, called Trevor, roaming around between midnight and midnight fifteen, it's logical to assume they intercepted my appeal to the benevolent spirits, called Master Friend, for good luck. This all comes from a belief system called Solar Inferno I invented when I was eleven to account for the existence of Stick Stickly and all the other puppets on Nick in the Afternoon, among other things.

Also, it could be that it was Daylight Savings Time, and what I thought was after midnight was only after eleven. All the clocks were set back (and I was still late to church). However, after some intensive internet research, I've found a hypothesis that if you say, "Tabbir, Tabbir" before falling asleep on the first of the month, you will secure yourself good fortune. O Master Friend, hear my prayer.

No comments:

Post a Comment