Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The Internet Is a Terrible Thing

Did you know that you can wire Amazon.com directly into your bank account? I do, I have, and I've used it already today. Ordering books is now as simple as reading an author's name in an interview then throwing up money in the bathroom. That sounds complicated, now that I read it, but if you swallow the money beforehand it wouldn't be so hard.

I visit a science fiction blog, io9, every day. Once or twice a week they'll publish a piece on a new novel or incredibly good comics. I trust them - we have one of those internet relationships where you know the other person's real name. I'm considering giving them my bank account information directly, so I don't have to be the middleman between them and the act of spending my money.

Speaking of Middleman, that was a show they told me to buy. They were right. You should watch it - it's like birthday cake with marshmellow icing. At first you say, I've seen this before, and then you say, mmmamdkmfm, because you can't open your mouth on account of the marshmellow.

Today, io9 ran a article on Richard K. Morgan; the article was actually about his book The Steel Remains, but I followed cookie crumb links around the website till I came to a review of Altered Carbon. Then I bought it. Then I bought a Chris Beckett book called Marchers, which Amazon recommended (Chris Beckett being an author I first discovered this summer when io9 took my money and bought his short story collection The Turing Test with it).

In case there's any confusion, these are all hard science fiction novels. Someone told me that science fiction, along with fantasy and horror and other simliar genres, are now being called "speculative fiction." That sounds more respectible, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment