Sunday, February 20, 2011

Women, We're on to You

Most funny things in life are small moments that don't fit into a big picture. Big picture funny things are the topics of books and movies. Most funny things are like the picture my dad sent me of the cat sleeping on my mom's neck. Classic.

So when Turks say funny things, or when I do something stupid, it usually takes a bit of wrangling to fit it into an overall framework, to make a post-length story. The following story I couldn't fit into any story from the past couple of weeks, but it makes me laugh, so I'll just post what actually happened. And besides, there were a lot of bad jokes in my last post. I tried to hard.

On Friday in my conversation class I set the topic as Valentine's Day, because it had just passed and I wanted to know what my students thought of it. Most of them didn't celebrate. Actually - none of them did. Once I taught them the word "commercialized," they agreed that Valentine's Day was all about money. So instead the conversation devolved into romance and then further into (yet again) the difference between men and women, where it was stated that while women only love one man, men can love many women. The word polygamy was used repeatedly, but I can assure you that no one knew what it really meant.

Anyway, after our daily tea break (gotta have it), we resumed class and I started to direct the conversation towards other holidays, like New Years or Mother's Day. We were deep in discussion about why moms are more sensitive than dads (men vs. women again; yet, no one ever seems to get offended), when Bunyamin, one of the silent students (there are a few who come to class not to speak but to improve their listening), spoke up and said, "Woman use eye-drop for gun." You could tell he put a lot of thought into how to phrase it.

No comments:

Post a Comment